As a mostly-non-wearer-of-makeup today I’ve asked bridal makeup artist, Sinead from Maid by Sinead for her tips and advice on getting your bridal lipstick just right on your Big Day. Luckily for you Sinead has also let us into her favourite red, pink and nude lipsticks and has included a special discount for Senna Cosmetics lipsticks for all readers of the blog.
As it is one of the best days of your life, when it comes to your wedding lipstick you really want to get it right. Here are a few tips to consider having the perfect pout on your Big Day!
- Choose the right shade: Whether you are new to lipstick or a seasoned pro, finding the best colour for your wedding day can be a tedious process. From matte to sheer, there are a long list of colours within every cosmetic brand. Choose a shade that compliments your skin tone, budget and personal style. While reds and pinks offer a signature look, a nude shade is a great choice to compliment a strong smoked eye.
- Analyse the size of your lips: Another important tip is to analyse the sizer of your lips. If you tend to have thin lips, a nude or coral shade can give the lips a fuller look. On the contrary, a bride with big lips can use a darker shade to flatter and compliment their overall look.
- Application technique: The secret is to apply your lipstick with a brush. This can help make it last much longer. Also by using a concealer or primer underneath will help provide you with extra cover. Apply two coats – apply the first layer then blot with a tissue and apply the second layer, this will help with longevity and leave your lips streak free.
- Think about the finish you would like: For bridal, I’m definitely a satin finish type of girl! While matte lipsticks are very popular at present, it has to be noted that glossy lipsticks give a more satin finish and look great in photos.
- Buy and try: Since it is considered one of the most important days of your life, I would definitely recommend the ‘tried and tested’ method. Whilst some lipsticks look good in yellow light, it is best to consider the colour in natural light – therefore ask for a sample and get testing at home.
- Include your lipstick colour in your wedding day touch-up kit: It a very long day and your aim is to always be photo ready. I always recommend that my brides have their wedding lipstick/gloss in their handbag for a quick touch up throughout the day. Plus it’s always lovely to keep your wedding lipstick as a keepsake. I still have mine – even after 7 years! Senna – baby nude for those asking!
- One last top tip from the lady herself: “To make lipstick and lip gloss last longer, line and fill in lips with lip pencil before applying colour.” Bobbi Brown
I hope these tips help in the lead up to your big day. If you have an experienced bridal makeup artist booked for your wedding day, you won’t need to worry – they will have it all in hand.
My favourite reds are Mac Ruby Woo & Senna Cosmetics Valentina. For nudes I love Tom Ford Nude Vanille and Senna Cosmetics Affair and for those brides who love a pop of pink Charlotte Tilbury Electric Poppy and Senna Cosmetics Show Off are my most used.
Reader offer: I am offering all readers a special discount on Senna Cosmetic lipsticks (offer price: £14.50, normal price: £16.50), simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07811 030 471 and quote ‘The Promise.’
Love Sinead x